Out of My Mind

Out of My Mind

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Some does and don'ts

After my first year of trying to grow vegetables I discovered the those hanging things are no good for growing tomatoes or strawberries.  Both did not do well at all.  I planted the strawberries in the ground so hopefully I will get some next summer off of those and I know that planting the tomato plants along the front of my house, which faces the south, produces the best crop for those.

I think that I will plant lots of tomatoes next year and make sauce to freeze like I did this past summer. I froze them in individual containers so that I could defrost as needed.  I even did up a second batch with tomatoes my neighbour gave me from next door and they are also gone so I know that it will get used.

The strawberries didn't produce much this year but since it was the first year I didn't really expect too much but I bought lots of boxes and some rhubarb from a roadside vegetable stand and froze them so I have lots left to use over the cold winter months.

No comments: