Out of My Mind

Out of My Mind

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Giving Missy her shots has become a major stress all around

We are at the end of our ropes with giving Missy her shots. She has refused to allow us to do it and today the needle got bent because she struggles so violently when we try to give her the shots. Her skin is abnormally tender, her skin is very taught causing it to be difficult to pinch the skin to raise it up for the shot and the vet has said that he has never had a dog mind having a shot in the scruff of it's neck like Missy minds having one in hers. She even yelps when you pinch the skin gently in between your fingers. If it was just giving her the shots and she tolerated it there would be no problem but we are stressing all the way around now and we have to make a difficult decision tomorrow about whether we are prepared to continue on with it or let her go. She can't not have her insulin and I don't know if the stress we are putting her though and us through means that she will have any quality of life.

My back/hip has increased in pain because of the stress and I'm ending up having to take more Demerol as a result and I think I might be developing an ulcer. If we do decide to put her down it will devastate us both but if we don't what kind of a life is that for us as well. It may seem like we are selfish but I don't see it that way.. we gave it a good go at trying to do this for her sake. It just didn't work out.

1 comment:

Aleta said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I can't imagine. When Greg and I went to see the movie, "Marley and Me" - we both cried, we were thinking about Pebbles ~ which is Greg's 15 year old CockerPoo. She's a sweetheart, deaf in both ears, blind in one eye and has arthritis in her back legs (yet she does still have some really good days where she jumps around like a puppy). She's getting old though and it's going to be a hard decision if we ever have to come putting her down. Dogs, cats, etc aren't just pets, they are family...