Out of My Mind

Out of My Mind

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Who's Afraid - - - ? I am..

The dog, Missy (our super dog miniature poodle watch dog), was going nutso last night and then I heard some coyotes outside yelping.. and I asked RK if the cat was in the house.. and then I heard the most terrible sound imaginable of an animal screaming... it screamed and screamed for the longest time and my heart literally stopped because it sounded like a cat screaming.. so I rushed downstairs with the dog following and barking frantically.. I turned the lights on in the porch because the top part of the screen is ripped and Penny, the cat can jump up to the top part of the door and get into the porch so I figured she would be there if anywhere .. but she wasn't .. and then I went to the back door and turned the light on, all the while my heart was pounding in my chest.. and then I saw the cat coming towards the door with her ears back and her tail fluffed up in fear.. I opened the door and let her in and the dog was following her around and sniffing at her probably sensing her fear and feeding off mine..

I'm not sure if it was a neighbours cat that was killed or a raccoon but whatever it was I'll never forget that sound.. I know that the coyotes have to feed like any other animal to live but a lot of people are losing their pets because of them and now I'm terrified to let the dog out to use the bathroom at night now in case the coyotes are watching for a chance to get her.. and I'm scared to go out with her too...

Living in the country has it's darker sides too and that is one of them..


Just a side note here: Contrary to the belief of scientists that coyotes and wolves are mortal enemies.. the coyotes in our fair isle are inbred with wolves so they are larger than a normal coyote by about half (scientist have done dna testing on coyotes here and have proven that they have indeed crossed with wolves to make a super coyote).. they say that since there are no natural enemies here (except for the pissed off cattle and sheep farmers that is) and since the largest carnivors here are foxes, the coyote/wolves have really taken over and are at the top of the food chain... Lots of domestic animals and pets have fallen prey to them and the harder the people try to wipe them out with bounties etc, the more they breed and the larger the population becomes.. Interestingly enough we've lived here for three years and this is the first time that I've heard them and I've never seen one yet and I sort of hope I never do...

No comments: